Boy Two May Never Speak Again After Drinking Bottle Of Drain Cleaner

Aus AStA Wiki
Zur Navigation springen Zur Suche springen

Ayman Faisal suffered severe burns after drinking drain cleaner
A mother fears her son will never speak again after he suffered severe injuries from drinking drain cleaner in a supermarket.
Ayman Faisal was strapped in his buggy while he was shopping with his mother, Saira, in Safa Superstore in Moss Side, Manchester.
But as Saira's back was turned to pick something up, Ayman, then two, reached out and grabbed a bottle of drain cleaner, which contained caustic soda, and drank it.
The youngster was rushed to Manchester hospital after suffering severe burns to his mouth, airway, oesophagus and stomach.
Now aged six, he cannot speak and has to be fed through a tube in his stomach. 
His family are now suing the shop and the manufacturer of the drain cleaner.
Mrs Faisal says the bottle appeared to have a child lock top, but this did not work and the top could simply be unscrewed.
Both shop and manufacturer were unavailable for comment.
The 37-year-old, from Rusholme, Manchester, said: 'I was on my way home for lunch when I realised we needed a couple of things, so called into the shop.
'Ayman was strapped into his pushchair and I was reaching to get something.
Doctors had to put a permanent tracheostomy tube in his neck so he could breathe and a feeding tube in his stomach to enable him to eat
'It was only for a few seconds, but when I turned back I saw his lips had gone purple and blue and there was blood coming out of his mouth.
'I didn't know what it was or what had happened at first, I just knew it was something bad.
'I remember screaming at the staff to phone an ambulance while I tried to get as much as I could out with my hands.
'I was terrified.

All I kept thinking was 'please don't let me lose my son.
Ayman was taken to Royal Manchester Children's Hospital where he spent around a month in intensive care.
RELATED ARTICLES [# Previous] [# 1] [# Next] [/news/article-4040392/Shocking-moment-10-year-old-boy-sent-flying-taxi-smashed-zebra-crossing-Sydney.html Shocking moment 10-year-old boy is sent flying by a taxi...] [/news/article-4035670/No-punishment-severe-Teens-started-Tennessee-wildfires-JAILED-LIFE-officials-estimate-500m-worth-damage.html 'No punishment is severe enough': Teens who started...]

Share this article

He was then moved to a general ward where he remained for six months after the incident in January 2013.
Doctors had to put a permanent tracheostomy tube in his neck so he could breathe and a feeding tube in his stomach to enable him to eat.
His mother, who also suffered burns to her hands and feet, decided to speak out after learning another child had also been burned in similar circumstances.
She said: 'While Ayman was in hospital, I was told of another child who had been brought in after being injured by the same product.
'It's too late to change what has happened to my son now, but I hope doing this will stop it from happening to anyone else.'
Saira (left) and Ayman at their home in Manchester.

Saira says the family is now suing the company who manufactured the cleaner and the shop
Ayman can now only eat or drink special milk with all the nutrients he needs, administered via the tube in his stomach.
He cannot speak, but has learned to communicate with sign language or by using a 'talker' - a device similar to that used by scientist Stephen Hawking.
Lawyers for the family say a two-year-old should not have been able to remove the cap of the bottle, supplied by manufacturer Active Brand Concepts Ltd, and that it should have been displayed on a shelf out of reach of children at the shop.
Alicia Rendell, a serious injury specialist at law firm Slater and Gordon, who is representing the family, said: 'It is hard to imagine how devastating this has been for Ayman and for Saira to see her only child go through such pain and suffering.
'We have also been approached by another mother who says her daughter suffered severe burns after she was able to open the same product.
'This is extremely concerning and we would urge everyone with young children in the house to check that all substances like this are in childproof containers and stored well out of harm's way.'